Thursday, October 23, 2008

tough love

Hi Michel,I am a member of the Human Society of Southern New Mexico. I have a few concerns regarding the treatment of Ms. Vesco-Mock. I was very surprised to read in the sun-news and on your blog that you are now not anymore in favor of Ms. Vesco-Mock. I never met her, but was more than impressed to learn thru the paper how she was trying to achieve a no-kill facility in this community. Just like myself, I think she had a rude awakening about this area after a few weeks of running this shelter. I cannot believe, that on the one hand you make her responsible for housing too many animals, but on the other hands complain that she is killing too many. I know that you are in favor of seeing everything positive. Once I commented on your blog about how many dogs in my neighborhood have a miserable life by being chained 24/7. In your blog you answered I should rather look at the animals that are being treated well than concentrate on the once that are mistreated. That's just like telling somebody to ignore abuse next door, since there is no abuse going on in the other house. I moved to the South Valley in 2000 and I am more and more upset about animal abuse and what I have to witness. You can write as often you want to see everything positive. The fact is that this community doesn't give a hood about the well being of animals and you can offer all the spay and neuter services free and most people out here in the country will still just laugh at you. How many animals will you try to adopt out in a community where everybody who likes animals already has one or more (in my case 3 dogs) and where the people who don't even like them have animals planted like&n bsp;trees in their back of front yard. I adopted 2 german shepherds from a rescue and basically had to sign my life away so I could get them. You want to lower the standards at the shelter and just give the animals to everybody who shows up - not even fill out a simple application. Let me tell you - a lot a dogs I see here rotting away on their life-long chains would be a lot better off by being euthanized - or killed, like you would call it. I think, instead of looking at other cities accomplishments you have to spent cruising the areas of Mesquite, Vado, San Miguel, La Mesa, etc. and talk to people who treat their dogs like properties, then you also would change your mind.

No comments: